[ALAC] ICANN News Alert -- Proposed Fundamentals Bylaws Changes to Move the Board Governance Committee's Reconsideration Process Responsibilities to Another Board Committee

León Felipe Sánchez Ambía leonfelipe at sanchez.mx
Tue Apr 4 16:02:07 UTC 2017

Thanks Alan, Seun, Bastiaan,

The reason why I think it is important for us to closely follow the process, thoroughly analyze it and comment is because it is the first time this is going to be done. And quoting Nigel Roberts:

"It's important, I suggest, exactly because it's a harmless (in my opinion) and positive change. This means that we (the ccNSO as part of the Community) can focus on making sure that the Powers and the structure works well. If we do not participate, or pass it off as unimportant, then the whole purpose of the transition and Empowerment will be, in my opinion, diminished.”

Furthermore, I also think that it’s not just the proposed bylaw change we should look at but also the proposed charters to the committees. Since the new committee will be dealing with accountability issues, it would be good to se a more detailed charter scope than that currently shown for drafting purposes. I think it is here that we will be able to have the biggest opportunity to contribute shaping that charter and where we can have a more positive impact.

So it’s not about controlling appointments but rather ensuring that the committees scope serves its purpose I think.

Saludos,

León

Best regards,

León