[ALAC] Fwd: [icann-board] ICANN News Alert -- Proposed Fundamentals Bylaws Changes to Move the Board Governance Committee's Reconsideration Process Responsibilities to Another Board Committee

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Apr 4 12:30:29 UTC 2017

Leon, can you explain why, at this point, you believe that we need to comment?

Certainly this is a momentous in that this is the
first time we are being asked to exercise our Empowered Community powers.

But as I read it, this is no more onerous than if
the change was correcting a spelling mistake. And
if the Bylaw had originally been written to say a
Board committee had the responsibility but did
not name which one (not unreasonable given that
such committees change from time to time), no
change would be needed at all. Since we have NO
control over who the Board appoints to any given
committee, changing the name of the responsible
committee (or refusing this change) gives us no more control.

But perhaps I missed some subtle aspect of this.

The ALAC will ultimately need to approve or
reject this Fundamental Bylaw, and if we thought
there was a chance that we might reject, we
certainly have an obligation to serve notice during the comment period.

Alan