[ALAC] ICANN57: A Real-Life Audio-Video Disaster Recovery Story - ICANN Blog by Ash Ragan

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Oct 27 16:51:08 UTC 2016

ICANN57: A Real-Life Audio-Video Disaster Recovery Story

Very few people realize what it actually takes to
make an ICANN meeting run smoothly from the
Network Operations Center backroom, where the
InfoTech team orchestrates its magic with high
energy. You’ve probably experienced the
excellent remote capabilities to encourage
diverse participation, good wifi on site, and
generally, things run smoothly so you can focus
on the real issues and discussions at hand. And this is a good thing.

After Helsinki, we were starting to get prepared
again...when we got the
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/fire-on-cargo-ship-affects-it-equipment-bound-for-icann57-hyderabad>news
that there was a fire aboard the ship which
contained our equipment being transshipped from
Helsinki to Hyderabad. (Spoiler alert: I’m
pleased to confirm all equipment is now in
Hyderabad, and the team is setting up for what
will again likely be an excellent meeting.)

Let me share this remarkable disaster recovery story.

When we began preparing for ICANN57 months ago,
it was all fairly routine. We packed and shipped
all of our technical equipment in a 40-foot and
20-foot sea container which included: 80+ crates
containing over five miles of network cables,
over 400 microphones, 650 international power
strips, 75 MacBooks. We were preparing to get 800
mbps of bandwidth, at least two Internet service
providers with redundant paths, and more.

Within a week of the fire, we were told that the
40-foot container was in good shape, but the
20-foot container had possible damage from the
fire and would be held for further inspection in Germany.

We were instantly struck by the unique dimensions
of this extraordinary incident. A fire on-board a
seafaring container cargo ship, while the ship is
docked in Germany, en-route to India. We also
discovered how complicated the whole situation
was given the ship belongs to an international
company, the contents belong to a US corporation,
the forwarding-agent is based in the US with
inspection-rights governed by (200+ year old)
maritime laws and with Insurance brokers and
adjusters involved from both sides of the
Atlantic. The multi-national dimensions of this incident were quite remarkable.

We immediately made back up arrangements. Having
catalogued exactly what was in each crate, we
enacted two plans: a) a short-term plan to
purchase replacement equipment so ICANN57
experiences no disruption; and b) a longer-term
plan to work with insurance brokers (under
maritime law) to recover the ‘stuck’ 20-foot
container. This took a lot of work in a short
amount of time, given the sophistication of our
gear, which in total cost ICANN about $700,000
USD of unplanned expenses (the equipment itself plus shipping and other costs).

But the real story is that of the ICANN InfoTech
team. The manner in which this fire incident was
handled is just another example of the
professionalism and dedication that the ICANN org
team members take to ensure we support the
community. I am so proud of our team for working
days, nights and weekends to work with every
supplier, replace all equipment as well as pack
it (our office was a bit of a mess!) and make
arrangements to have it air-lifted to India. This
was all to ensure that equipment would arrive in
Hyderabad in time so that there will be no
disruption to our service we provide at ICANN57.
Take a look at this
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h-qRxFLZF4>time-lapse
video from ICANN49 to see just how much goes into setting up an ICANN Meeting.

I wish everyone safe travels if you’re heading
to India and hope to see many of you soon – either iin person or online.

Ash