[ALAC] [registration-issues-wg] The Ten Worst Top Level Domains

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Mar 7 21:32:02 UTC 2016

As someone who, in a former life, owned a domain that was incorrectly
blacklisted, I can say that the procedure to request a review/removal was
fairly easy.

But that’s not really an issue of universal acceptance - it’s more directly
>> related to “abuse”, how it’s handled and that most networks are private so
>> the operators will protect them

If an innocent registrant is affected as collateral damage because a
registry's policies (and/or lack of enforcement) are widespread enough to
cause the whole TLD to be blocked by trusted entities(*), that is most
certainly a UA issue.​

​Certainly not everyone here would agree with me when I assert that the
high level of abuse brings the entire new namespace into disrepute. But
when "who can I trust?" needs to become a factor in choosing a TLD, I think
that's a problem for the wh​ole ecosystem.

​- Evan​

​(*) Even if *you* don​'t much trust Spamhaus' judgements, significant
numbers do.