[ALAC] Request for a snapshot view on next round new gTLD program outlook from the ALAC for the ICANN Board

Kan Kaili kankaili at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 18:51:17 UTC 2016

Hi, Rinalia,

After reading your email and Olivier's reply, I have to say that I agree with Olivier that it is way too early even to talk about the "next round".

As I am a member of CCT-RT and its Competition & Consumer Trust Subteam, although we all agreed that "substitutibility" of one good of another one is the definition of a market, but so far we still have not been able to define a market of gTLDs' competition.

Also recalling that, when Bruce Tonkin met with CCT-RT in Marrakech, he explained that "the introduction of new gTLDs was not to introduce competition".  This leads to the question of what is the exact reason and purpose of the new gTLD program.

As far as I know, even establishing GNSO's new gTLD PDP WG before CCT-RT completes its report was quite a surprise within both ALAC and GAC, as well as to CCT-RT itself.

Meanwhile, it is well recognized that the new gTLD program has brought many unwanted side-effects.  These include large scale speculation (my email about the China situation is attached) and consumer trust issues, as well as brand-name owners' unwanted defensive registrations.

Furthermore, I personally suspect that the linearly structured names have some kind of theoritical and fundamental incompatibility with the new gTLD program, while this is further discussed within the CCT Review team.

As a matter of fact, the new gTLD program was higly controversial from the very beginning.  The following was found in Wikipedia:  Following the vote to expand gTLDs, many trade associations and large companies, led by the Association of National Advertisers, formed the Coalition for Responsible Internet Domain Oversight. The coalition opposes the expansion of gTLDs, citing "its deeply flawed justification, excessive cost and harm to brand owners."[39] In a statement to the US Congress on December 9, 2011, National Restaurant Association vice president Scott DeFife stated, "Even beyond the financial toll the gTLD program will exact on millions of U.S. businesses, the Association believes that ICANN’s program will confuse consumers by spreading Internet searches across hundreds or even thousands of new top-level domains."[40]  Another opponent is Esther Dyson, the founding chairperson of ICANN, who wrote that the expansion "will create jobs [for lawyers, marketers and others] but little extra value."[41]

Thus, I wonder why the Board would want to discuss about the "next round" and where this urgency came from.  I also wonder if such information can be disclosed, at least for the purpose of Board transparency.  In order to demonstrate ICANN is indeed resposible to the world's Internet multi-stakehoders, especially during the time of the current transition, I would strongly suggest the Board to postpone any such discussions about this issue until our CCT-RT has completed its task, and the entire Internet community has reached a consensus on the evaluation of this current new gTLD program.

Best regards,
Kaili