[ALAC] ALS Criteria and Expectations

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 20:47:05 UTC 2016

Other than the matter he calls double dipping, let the record show I fully
endorse the views expressed by Evan.

So you know, my views on double dipping is only more slightly nuanced but
enough to give reprieve.  Some issues are given to more finer gradations
than others.  And it might very well entail forum-shopping to be effective
in advocacy.

On the balance of facts, just as I would find it an insurmountable
difficulty restricting individuals from having multiple interests and
acting on them in different fora, I would not disallow the same
organisation similar leeway.  Afterall, the will of the organisation is
effected thru people.

The history of LACRALO for example, will show the representatives of most
ALS are only activated at election time. As pernicious as that may seem to
be, I have a difficulty in exacting sanctions.  First, on principle. They
are volunteers. There is almost a reflexive dislike for the idea of
sanctioning volunteers for being insufficiently voluntary. Second - and
Evan explained it well! - not every ALS/volunteer will be interested in
every issue that comes along in ICANN. So while we may see them as
layabouts, I would preferentially consider them as sleeper agents, only to
be roused when their issue has come. Even if the issue is elections. There
are ways to fix that without disenfranchising.

These ideas are inextricably linked to my own view that At-Large
decision-making, should, by and large, be consensual. Not everybody is a
policy wonk. And we know for sure we all don't start at the same place for
knowledge. But we must remain committed to the "whosoever will, may come."

-Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799