[ALAC] ALAC Working Methods - Was: Endorsements: Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 25 17:05:22 UTC 2015

I now think I understand the issue here, and it
is indeed an issue of how the ALAC works.

In Dublin, there was a discussion of how to
endorse the candidates, and I, in this original
e-mail, laid out that path, saying the how the
endorsement group would be composed, suggesting
that it be delegated the responsibility to
formally endorse without reverting to the ALAC,
and asking ALAC Members and RALO leadership to identify the people.

You (Seun) disagreed with the delegation part. I
explained by I thought that this was not needed
but said we would see what other people thought,
and you suggested that instead we use the entire
ALAC to do the endorsement. No one else commented
on either your original objection or your new suggestion.

The ALAC, to the extent possible, works by
consensus. That applies not only to formal
suggestions, but to discussions in general.
Consensus is not formally "defined", but our
Rules of Procedure say "12.1.3.1 As a “rule of
thumb”, Consensus is no less than 80% of the
sitting ALAC Members". So if only 1 or 2 ALAC
members disagree with something, we can still
claim to have consensus. with 3/15 (20%), it is
right on the line and I would probably not
declare a consensus is in that case. In the case
at hand, one person disagreed. That should not be
ignored (and I did explain why I disagreed), and
no one else supported your position. So I felt
that there was a strong (but not unanimous) consensus to proceed with the plan.

Hopefully this particular case, and our general methodology is now clear.

Alan