[ALAC] CCWG-Accountability Issues

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Jun 22 16:49:26 UTC 2015

As I mentioned in the ALAC meeting yesterday, I had made a proposal
which does not include the ability of the community to "enforce" its
rights other than by the threat or reality of Board member removal.
This matches the position taken by most At-Large people involved in
the process, as opposed to the stronger Member or even designator
model. A copy of my message to the CCWG is appended to this e-mail.

At the moment, the "Empowered AC/SO" model is being discussed by the
CCWG, which by simply stating that the AC/SO wants to use its rights
as a Member, the AC/SO effectively has the same powers (as a legal
person) as the Unincorporated Association would have in the previous
proposals (but with the "alter ego" structure confusion). This
mechanism would also work for Designators instead of Members.

In our formal reply to the CCWG Public Comment, we said that if we
had to choose between a Member or Designator model, we would select
Member, because it was easier to explain that Designators. I now
believe that we forgot a major consideration in this choice, and if I
had it to do over again, I would choose differently. The reason is
that we can start using Designators without changing ICANN into a
Membership organization (by altering its Articles of Incorporation),
and that I think is a major consideration.

Alan