[ALAC] ACTION: CWG-Stewardship Response for Chartering Organization Consideration and Approval

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 11 21:54:59 UTC 2015

Attached is the Final Proposal of the CWG on IANA Stewardship
Transition. As a Chartering Organization, the ALAC is being requested
to approve or otherwise comment on the Proposal no later than
Thursday, 25 June 2015.

I ask that At-Large Staff create an At-Large Policy Development wiki
page for this report where comments can be submitted.

I have reviewed the report against the comments made by the ALAC on
the draft proposal.

In my mind, this Proposal warrants serious consideration by the ALAC,
and I suspect ratification.

Our largest problem with the Draft Proposal was that the GNSO and
ccNSO were the bodies that both had to approve a CSC request to
initiate a Special IANA Review (SIFR). We had a number of reasons,
but the largest was that the GNSO was not fully representative of the
non-ccTLD world. Specifically, the ALAC, the GAC, the SSAC, the RSSAC
and others who have an interest in the outcome are not members of the
GNSO. The final proposal does not alter the formal process, but now
does require that the GNSO initiate meaningful consultation with
other AC/SOs. This is not 100% satisfactory, but given that:

- it is highly unlikely that this will ever happen;
- if the ccNSO and gNSO *BOTH* think there is a problem, there likely
*IS* a problem;
- we would be represented on the SIFR;

I think that this is a reasonable compromise. It does simplify things
in that we are not invoking yet another body in the decision,
although the GNSO does have some thinking to do about how it would
make such a decision if this ever happens.

The other point we raised was that we (and other bodies with a single
IFR representative) should be allowed alternates to ensure that we
can always participate fully. Given that the AoC reviews have been
pretty flexible on this, I do not think that the omission at this
stage is a show stopper.

At the time of the closure, we had not come to closure on the
composition of the PTI Board. We were definite in it not being
controlled by registries. The proposal calls for two ICANN employees
who have specific responsibilities in the area now to sit on the
Board, the Senior IANA administrator, and two independent Directors
named by the NomCom or a similar body. This Board is ultimately
controlled by ICANN, so it does not need accountability measures of
its own, three of the members are people who will implicitly have
skills needed to resolve problems should they arise, and there is a
component of external and community input. I find this quite acceptable.

Please take the time to review the report, and I look forward to your
wiki comments and discussion in Buenos Aires.

Alan