[ALAC] ACTION: Draft of the ALAC comments to be sent to the CCWG

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:40:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 5:53 AM, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
wrote:

> At 14/12/2015 11:14 PM, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>
> - Removal of nomcom appointed board member should have same threshold of 4
> support and not 3 as currently stated in row 107 (para90)
>

> Do we really want to re-open this one?

I believe so, nomcom appointees are somewhat selected by the entire
community and its board member removal process should be evident of that as
well.

> - I know there was CWG requirement to veto ICANN budget, I really wonder
> if that included the IANA budget as well. So I am really concerned by the
> current wording of Para153/154. I mean, is there any reason why IANA would
> be made to lack funding considering this is the actual technical work of
> ICANN? I fear those paras if effected could have unintended consequences.
> The IANA serves not just the numbers community!
>

> It was a requirement. This has also been raised by the Board.

Well I believe this should be fixed then.

> - The threshold for removing entire board has to be absolute! i.e 5/5 and
> when it's 4 participating then it should be 4/4; if we are going to break
> the organisation, we should all take the responsibility. (Para176-181)
>

> I note that we did not require 100% in the 2nd draft.

Well this is the 3rd draft and if i recall correctly, the thresholds were
discussed in more detail in LOS(the breakout groups Cheryl coordinated) and
that was after the 2nd draft was up for public comment. In any case, I
apologize for raising this now(as its when i observed it) but I don't think
it matters whether we raised it during 2nd draft or not. The point is that
spilling the entire board is a Plutonic action and every part of the
community has to sign-up for it! It even somewhat goes against the concept
of appointing SO/AC removing its individual board (nevermind that I am
against that concept). As this simply means that if ALAC for instance
object to the board spill, then the board will still be spilled anyway,
including the board member appointed by ALAC.

> - Which work stream 1 is referred to in para267? Perhaps we need to
> clarify when work stream 1 ends and when 2 commence as I think that
> paragraph may be misplaced in its current form.
>

> There is only one WS1. It ends when we issue the final proposal in a
> couple of weeks.

So i thought but here is the section that makes me wonder whether CCWG was
referring to WS2
In *Work Stream 1*, include the review of Supporting Organization and
Advisory Committee
accountability mechanisms into the independent periodical structural
reviews performed on a
regular basis.

> - Aside the overreaching discussion on "consensus requirement" GAC as an
> AC has been given more recognition by the virtue of having a formal board
> threshold to reject their advice. This in my view further gives
> formality/attention to GAC advice by the board. In view of this, I believe
> ALAC should request a former commitment from board to give our advice more
> attention as well. I don't know how we can say this in the comment period
> (without causing any uproar). Para274/5
>

> There is already an ATRT recommendation that has been accepted that
> somewhat strenthens out position. In my mind, there is no way to re-open
> that discussion now.

Well if there is no way then maybe ALAC should send some independent letter
to the board on this.

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*

Bringing another down does not take you up - think about your action!