[ALAC] Some thoughts on ALS Criteria & Expectations Taskforce

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Mon Aug 10 20:13:10 UTC 2015

Hello,

Maureen Hilyard wrote Sun, 9 Aug 2015 07:15:
>(...) Their presence at an ALAC meeting for 20 mins is
>hardly going to make any real impact on what they already propose to do.
>Except for the meetings we have with David Olive and Steve Crocker which I
>enjoy because I think there is a mutual respect for honesty, I always view
>those other sessions with the hierarchy as top-down tokenism. What really
>changes that is of importance to the ALAC?

Maureen's statement corresponds *exactly* to my longer-term observations and feelings -- with very few exceptions Maureen mentioned! These mantra-like ALAC "Briefings" are meant to give us the blissful feeling "to be taken serious" but - too often - I smell sort of a vacuum-cleaner salesman's attitude behind. Having been involved for many years in politics, reading body-language and sensing well-tuned PR phrases, such lulling exercises became rather useless and boring to me ...

Less briefings and more time for discussion on really substantial ALAC concerns may probably show some more impact?

Best,
Wolf

EuroDIG Secretariat
http://www.eurodig.org/