[ALAC] URGENT: Next ALAC meeting and future schedule

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Nov 7 20:36:44 UTC 2014

Sorry to have been so silent since the LA meeting.

It is time to schedule the first ALAC teleconference of the new
season. The first meeting will be on Tuesday, November 25th. IF some
other day of the week is MUCH better for some people, we can look at
alternatives for later meetings.

For the last years, we have been holding the ALAC meeting at 1500 UTC
during the Northern winter months and at 1400 for Norther summer
months. That resulted in all calls being after midnight in Australia
(2-4 am during their summer!), Maureen starting at 4 or 5 am, and
quite delightful times for moat of those in North America, Europe and Africa.

I had hoped to rotate times to "spread the pain", but many options
result in far more people having to meet in the middle of their nights.

Due to the way we are currently spread around the world, it IS
possible to have a time where no one need to meet between in the
middle of the night, and I would lile to suggest that we see if this fits.

The scheduled meeting starting time would be 2000 UTC in Northern
summer, and between 1900 and 2100 in norther winter (now).

I am requesting that a Doodle be sent out showing the current time as
well as the options where no one has to be up in the middle of the night.

I am also attaching a spreadsheet so that you all can understand the
implications of meeting at any given time. The Excel file has 2
worksheets. They are both the same, but one is set up for out current
meeting schedule, and the second for a proposed meeting at 2000 UTC.
You can play with them by changing the time of the meeting in UTC
(spreadsheet line 27) and seeing who has to suffer most!

PLEASE FILL OUT THE DOODLE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. If we cannot QUICKLY
come to closure on a new time, the meeting on November 25 will be at
1500 UTC, which I feel will be unfair to some.

If there is anyone who has a REAL problem with ALAC meetings on
Tuesdays, please communicate with me privately.