[ALAC] GAC, Geographical Indications and TMCH

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Jun 24 08:10:30 UTC 2014

Many Geographic names are already on the
restricted list for 2nd/3rd level registration,
but generally, these do not correspond to wine appellations.

Since the TMCH generally only is involved in
registrations done at launch time and  during the
first 90 days of operation, I don't think that
this would be satisfactory, since my impression
is that they are looking for an
ongoing-for-the-life-of-the-domain. Even if the
TMCH were to impact registrations for the life of
the TLDs (which has a whole set of problems
associated with it), it is not clear to me if
that would be acceptable to the objectors to
.vin/wine, since it does not prevent
registrations but just requires the applicant to
avow that they are not doing anything that
violates trademarks (or whatever the reason for being in the TMCH).

So, in my mind, it is an option, but probably not
one that would satisfy the parts of the wine
industry that are objecting to the delegation.

Alan