[ALAC] GAC, Geographical Indications and TMCH

León Felipe Sánchez Ambía leonfelipe at sanchez.mx
Tue Jun 24 07:25:58 UTC 2014

Hello all,

As you are aware, the discussion over .vin and .wine is something that has kept the GAC busy lately. As I understand it, the reason for this discussion is whether .vin and .wine should be delegated or not as they may pose a threat to countries that have an important wine industry.

On the session we had with SO/ACs Chairs I didn’t have time to ask this question but anyway I posted it to the AC room chat and wanted to raise it on this list.

The question is whether the GAC has considered or not, to ask the TMCH to include geographic indications to their set of intellectual property assets that can be protected through this mechanism rather than continue a discussion that can be endless.

I would think that adding GIs to the TMCH structure could solve this problem and let .vin and .wine be delegated properly.

What are your thoughts on this?

All the best,

León