[ALAC] Board Response to Statement made during the ICANN 50 Public Forum by GNSO's Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 23:09:11 UTC 2014

FYI

Rinalia
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Steve Crocker" <steve at shinkuro.com>
Date: Jul 8, 2014 1:30 AM
Subject: [icann-board] Response to Statement made during the ICANN 50
Public Forum by GNSO's Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies
To: <mllemineur at gmail.com>, "William Drake" <wjdrake at gmail.com>, <
rafik.dammak at gmail.com>, <krosette at cov.com>, "Elisa Cooper" <
Elisa.Cooper at markmonitor.com>, <tonyarholmes at btinternet.com>, "Michele
Neylon - Blacknight" <michele at blacknight.com>, "Keith Drazek" <
keith.drazek at neustar.biz>, "Jonathan Robinson" <
jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com>
Cc: "Icann-board ICANN" <icann-board at icann.org>, "David Olive" <
David.Olive at icann.org>

Dear GNSO’s Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies,

On behalf of the ICANN Board I thank you for your statement at the ICANN
public forum on 26 June with regards to ICANN accountability.  It's copied
below for reference.

The Board heard your statement and we agree that trust in ICANN's
accountability processes and mechanisms is of great importance to present
and future success.  We look forward to your active participation in the
already planned accountability track along with the rest of the community.
This will be, as you note in your statement, an important area of ICANN’s
work.  And let me emphasize “your active participation.”  This cannot be
done without you.

As you know, ICANN’s efforts to improve the accountability mechanisms are
ongoing.  The work that involves the community includes the work of the AoC
ATRT process, with the most recent developments reflected in the Board
approved ATRT2 recommendations during the ICANN 50 meeting.

Thank you again for your input and we look forward to your continued work
in this area.

Kind regards,

Steve Crocker

Chairman, ICANN Board

P.S. I hope I included everyone who participated in your statement.  If
not, please accept my apologies and forward to all the appropriate people.

*Statement made during the ICANN 50 Public Forum*
I’m Keith Drazek, I’m Chair of the Registries Stakeholder Group, with me
are the leaders of all of the GNSO’s Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies.

I’m happy to report that the GNSO community took up Fadi’s challenge from
the Opening Ceremony to seek harmony this week in London. Instead of a song
or two, the statement we’re about to read represents an unprecedented --
yes unprecedented -- event. It only took us 50 meetings, but I think the
rarity of what you’re witnessing this afternoon sends a very strong message
about our views.  The GNSO community, with all our diversity and
occasionally competing interests, has come together to unanimously support
the following:

The entire GNSO joins together today calling for the Board to support
community creation of an independent accountability mechanism that provides
meaningful review and adequate redress for those harmed by ICANN action or
inaction in contravention of an agreed upon compact with the community.

This deserves the Board's serious consideration - not only does it reflect
an unprecedented level of consensus across the entire GNSO community, it is
a necessary and integral element of the IANA stewardship transition.

True accountability does not mean ICANN is only accountable to itself, or
to some vague definition of "the world."  It does not mean that governments
should have the ultimate say over community policy without regard to the
rule of law.  Rather, the Board's decisions must be open to challenge and
theBoard cannot be in a position of reviewing and certifying its own
decisions.

We need an independent accountability structure that holds the ICANN Board,
Staff, and various stakeholder groups accountable under ICANN's governing
documents, serves as an ultimate review of Board/Staff decisions, and
through the creation of precedent, creates prospective guidance for the
board, the staff, and the entire community.

As part of the IANA stewardship transition, the multi-stakeholder community
has the opportunity and responsibility to propose meaningful accountability
structures that go beyond just the IANA-specific accountability issues.  We
are committed to coming together and developing recommendations for
creation of these mechanisms.  We ask the ICANN Board and Staff to fulfill
their obligations and support this community driven, multi-stakeholder
initiative.