[ALAC] Next round in the battle of letters regarding PICs

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Dec 11 04:35:10 UTC 2014

I would like to think that the ALAC motion taken in LA has been the
catalyst for this flurry of activity on an issue so many in ICANN thought
(hoped?) was dead.

The letters we have seen lately on the Public Interest Commitments issue
simply re-enforce what we saw in the Public Comment Process on it -- it's
the domain industry versus the rest of the world.

We now have what is actually a moment of unusual clarity at ICANN. The
lines have rarely been drawn this sharply, on a matter that at its core
directly concerns public trust in the domain name system.

At a time when it is under more global scrutiny than ever, the ICANN Board
is now forced to reveal its true loyalties between the public interest (in
this case, a coalition of governments, registrants and end users) and the
industry it is supposed to be regulating.

In its decision, ICANN will tell the world -- which is already watching its
every move with scepticism -- to whom it is ultimately accountable, and
whether the term "multistakeholder" actually means something.

I await the Board's response. I hope to be surprised but do not expect to
be.

- Evan