[ALAC] LAC NOMCOMM

Vanda Scartezini vanda at uol.com.br
Mon Dec 8 23:14:30 UTC 2014

 I understand time consumer is not really small. I am now dedicating  1 to 2
hours  at least by day to read ICANN materials, groups materials and ALAC
specific issues and still did not assumed any group coordination! and when I
do I  believe this will add at least  2 more hours a week minimum.
Traveling time normally is long and for the majority at ""employee age"² it
is not easy get authorisation to travel. Minimum 30-50 hours /month
 Time,  from NOMCOMM point of view, is a good contributor to reduced number
of candidates for ACs and SOs.
Anyway the number/ quality of candidates in our region  is growing  and we
have had good opportunities to choose good candidates.
 Another relevant problem from this region still languages, of course
interpretation solves reasonable part of this problem but still people need
to communicate in English to really follow what is going on on
conversations, other constituencies, corridor talk etc.
Young people has much better languages skills but has job time constrains,
and vice-e-versa.
My two cents
During the NOMCOM period ( I have been there for 4 years) NEW good candidate
is not easy to outreach.
I really talked with several groups, went to LACNIC/ LACNOG regional
meetings, IPv6, general NGOs meetings, lawyers and  engineers association
meetings  , talked during several meetings I organised for e-commerce around
Mercosur area, and we got good candidates, not so many, but good ones. So
Outreach works nbut really demand a lot of work from NOMCOM members. But
they are there to do such task.

What we need is a person with interest in this community,that understand the
region behaviour, has experience  working with communities by themselves in
the region, with focus on Internet issues, with or without  focus  on
ICANNN,   but working for the users:  promoting connection, access, content
all kinds dedicated to the Internet users, ICT consumers¹ rights  Š etc.etc.

Knowledge of Internet environmental is essential in my opinion or you can
not convince people if you do not know very well what are you talking about
to respond tricky questions.
 All the best
Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados