[ALAC] Statement on the Draft Report of the IGO/INGO PDP

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Oct 22 05:59:36 UTC 2013

With Evan's support, I have drafted statement on the Draft Final
Report of the IGO-INGO Protections PDP.

Full details of the PDP and the draft statement can be found at
https://community.icann.org/x/8xSMAg.

The statement is intended to be submitted to the currently open
Public Comment, to be included in the Final report asa minority
statement and to be submitted directly to the Board as formal ALAC
Advice. The rational for the latter submission is that as formulated,
we (that is, Evan and I) do not believe that these PDP outcomes can
simply be implemented by the Board as is the case with normal PDP
recommendations (when/if they are approved by the GNSO). As such, the
Board is likely to have to do something more "innovative", and if
that is the case, it is an opportune time to state the principles
under which the ALAC believes that special protections should be granted.

The Public Comment period closes on November 1, so I would suggest
that all comment be submitted to the Wiki no later than Friday, 25
October to allow the statement to be updated and submitted to a short
ALAC vote.

Please distribute to RALOs as you deem appropriate.