[ALAC] Fwd: Re: ALAC Statement on Community Expertise in Community Priority Evaluation

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Oct 2 16:05:04 UTC 2013

On 2 October 2013 09:50, Jean-Jacques Subrenat <jjs at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Dear Rinalia,
>
> Why did I not immediately spell out a desirable next step? Being the first
> to react, I wondered if my stance would be isolated, as has happened to me
> more than once.
>
> I share your position that we should press the case and request whatever
> seems necessary and justified.

+1

I wonder, though, what channels are available for action. The Board is at
the top of the ICANN org chart.

The only remaining channels, from what I can see, are:

   - A formal reconsideratiion request
   - Appealing to the GAC to adopt our issue and help exert pressure
   - Appealing to the US Department of Commerce
   - Going public

Is the gravity of this issue worth the effort to try any of these paths
(except for "going public", which can be quickly done but has zero chance
of affecting change)? The slowness of all other processes ensures that by
the time decisions on such appeals are made, even if in our favour, it will
be irrelevant by then, as the affected evaluations will have already taken
place.

Or do we just chalk this up to the latest of many instances in which ICANN
denies the public interest, despite ALAC's best effort? This is hardly the
first instance of that phenomenon, and I would argue hardly the most severe.

That we received a half-baked response is better than the "no response"
that followed such advice in the past, but only marginally so based on the
metric of actually effecting change. In this sense, ALAC has made the great
conceptual leap from being ignored to being politely rejected. Yay for us.

- Evan