[ALAC] [ALAC-Announce] VOTE ANNOUNCEMENT: ALAC Statement on the Proposed Final 2013 RAA

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu May 30 10:45:03 UTC 2013

Dear All,

you will have seen the Vote Announcement below in your mailbox a week
ago. Furthermore, you will have heard during the ALAC monthly call that
a few amendments were to be made, although the vote had already started.
As a result, we have extended the voting time until 3 June 2013.

The amendments are as follows:

> While we are inclined to support all the major accompanying documents
> with the Contract, the details of some specifications very critical to
> deciding our full support remain in limbo. The Privacy/Proxy
> Specifications is one such example.
>
> Until such time as these are decided, this Statement records our
> qualified support for the Final RAA 2013 as published.

replaced by

> While we are inclined to support all the major accompanying documents
> with the Contract, we regret that some areas, such as the
> Privacy/Proxy Specifications, did not go further in defining
> registrant rights and obligations that would conserve the public
> interest.

and

> Nevertheless, some have argued the intent in this clause undermines
> the consensus policy making that has produced this RAA.

replaced by

> Nevertheless, some have argued the intent in this clause undermines
> the bottom-up multi-stakeholder model on which ICANN is built.

You can see the redlined changes on:
https://community.icann.org/pages/diffpages.action?pageId=41880001&originalId=41887551

This is what ALAC members need to do before 3 June:

- If you have not voted, please review the latest statement and vote.
- If you have voted already and do not wish to change your vote, do nothing.
- If you have voted already and wish to change your vote, email
matt.ashtiani at icann.org with your new vote

This statement was very important so it was important that we get the
language right. I appreciate the length to which the main pen-holders of
this Statement went to reach consensus.

Best regards,

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
ALAC Chair