[ALAC] Fwd: [new TLD Applicants & Advisors (nTLD A + A)] The purported "closed generic' loophole has been...

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed May 1 04:01:54 UTC 2013

On 30 April 2013 22:33, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> The use of this part of the RA to avoid using
> registrars is, in my opinion, a red herring. It
> makes life easier and cheaper for an organization
> that plans to use all sub-domains itself, but it
> is not a requirement. Amazon could still own all
> sub-domains on its .book (as an example), and
> still pay some registrar a nominal amount per
> domain, and it would have to set up a cumbersome
> communications protocol to enact this. But it would not stop the closed
> usage.

Ahh ICANN..Where registrars can insert themselves in the domain creation
process -- and the registry is forced to pay them off -- even when they're
not needed at all.
Your TLD can be closed so long as you pay the extorti^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
appropriate fees.

It's just one more shakedown to add to the list of many.

- Evan