[ALAC] Fwd: [new TLD Applicants & Advisors (nTLD A + A)] The purported "closed generic' loophole has been...

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed May 1 02:33:09 UTC 2013

Holly, did you mean "RAA" or "RA".

This new version of the Registry Agreement
includes a VERY large number of changes, some no
doubt houskeeping, and some quite substantive. No
time now for a careful review.

Regarding the language that Phil calls out, I see
it more as a house-keeping change and removing
the need for an ICANN judgement call, although it
may force some closed TLDs to use registrars who
might have squeaked through with the old words.

The use of this part of the RA to avoid using
registrars is, in my opinion, a red herring. It
makes life easier and cheaper for an organization
that plans to use all sub-domains itself, but it
is not a requirement. Amazon could still own all
sub-domains on its .book (as an example), and
still pay some registrar a nominal amount per
domain, and it would have to set up a cumbersome
communications protocol to enact this. But it would not stop the closed usage.

Alan