[ALAC] ALAC E-mail Guide - for review

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Jul 25 20:39:30 UTC 2013

At 24/07/2013 05:05 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>My feedback.

And mine, with the reminder that this guide is documenting what we
have now, not what we may want to morph them into. Does anyone else
have any comments?

>    * There IMO needs to be more distinction between the functions
> and scope of the At-Large list vis. the ALAC list.
Not sure what the issue is confusing those two lists.

>    * At very least, the At-Large list needs to be re-ordered near
> the top. Where it is it seems out-of-place and almost as an afterthought.

The order in this document has no real meaning. I ordered them based
on the progression of ALAC -> RALO -> At-Large, but have not real
stake in what order they are in.

>    * No mention in the Announce list of how unaffiliated members
> (in regions that allow this) are accommodated. Do they have to self-subscribe?

That is the way it is now. I suppose the Unaffiliated NARALO member
should be subscribed by staff. Unaffiliated members could be as well,
but that is not a thing that we have done in the past or now. Since
they do not have an "ALS" list of their own, certainly something that
we could do (but we in NARALO need to clean up that entire
unaffiliated process, so I will presume it will wait for that to happen).

>    * The change from ExCom to "Leadership Team" is new, and needs
> to be announced (and perhaps discussed) separately

The list is still called ExCom and that is how it is documented. The
comment notes that it will likely change at some point after the new
RoP are in place. Presumably once the new RoP goes into effect and we
start using the new name, appropriate announcements will be made.

>    * The regional lists' info don't say much about the treatment of
> RALO non-members. Does everyone have the same privileges, including
> possibly the overpowering by outsiders of discussions amongst RALO members?

I have never heard of any such rules in any of the RALO lists
(perhaps ignorance on my part) but presume if there were any, they
would be RALO-initiated. In light of recent experiences, we probably
should add something regarding the what level of Authority the RALO
Chair has over list.

>    * Does a single code of conduct govern all lists, or are there
> different codes for each list?

The RoP talks about a Code of Conduct for all At-Large electronic
communications platforms including e-mail. I presume that a RALO
could add additional rules, but I have never heard of such an occurrence.

Alan