[ALAC] MoU with RIRs

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 00:29:23 UTC 2013

Given that ICANN's mandate is in names and numbers although often the numbers aspects is often forgotten as the policy discussions for these happens within each RIR's own space such as for APRALO, it occurs at the cyclical APNIC meetings where it culminates in the APRICOT meetings. RIRs allocate blocks of IP addresses to various ISPs within its region and the model differs for countries in how numbers are assigned, that is whether directly through ISPs with ASNs or through National Number Registries that further distribute these addresses.

Usually, it is only the network operators or ISPs or those with ASN who participate. The meetings are open to anyone, remote streaming is readily available etc. At Large has not made formal policy statements impacting numbers specifically except for generic political statements regarding the IANA contract, I could be wrong and ready to be corrected.

For At Large to properly carry out its core functions, it needs to also be equally active in this space.

The Asia Pacific was the first to exhaust its IPv4 addresses and it is great that there is a joint push from APNIC and local stakeholders to move towards transitioning to IPv6 through dual stack deployment etc or whatever mode they feel is best for their networks. Carrier grade Network Address Translators are in my view are a poor excuse for lack of preparation for transition. Some stakeholders argue that NATs are convenient perhaps because of advantages of proxy servers, savings etc.

As far as law enforcement is concerned, it is the IP address when linked to persons during an investigation that creates the context for investigations in the cyber realm.

There is a lot that needs to happen to protect end users and there are many issues for At Large to take up. Our strategic and coordinated involvement as a RALO will ensure that we speak up on these issues. RIRs are also extremely active in each region through the Network Operator group meetings, ICT Groups etc.

Sent from my iPad