[ALAC] Voting infrastructure rules

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 19:26:41 UTC 2013

Dear Alan,

My preference is to keep 4 as is. (Only when the vote is ended, do we
(and observers) see how each person has voted.)

I wonder what is the need of rules 1 to 3 for ALAC votes conducted
online. The duration of such votes is typically several days.

Consider a scenario when an online ALAC vote is ongoing and the vote
is split with no clear outcome. Observers and ALAC members can see 6
persons voted no, 6 persons voted yes and by a process of elimination,
know which 3 ALAC members have yet to vote.

Doesn't the potential exist where the 3 ALAC members yet to vote can
be contacted by other ALAC members or observers to influence their
vote?

Perhaps to ensure the integrity of the voting process, rules 1 to 3
should be removed. This would mean no information during the voting
period is shown to ALAC members and observers.

Kind Regards,

Dev Anand Teelucksingh