[ALAC] Draft Statement on the questions from IGO/INGO PDP WG

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Jan 8 16:31:00 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-08 9:42 PM, "Carlton Samuels" <carlton.samuels at gmail.com> wrote:

> I share Alan's perspectives here.

OK, I understand and am willing to concede the point to Alan. But I'm
unsure of one thing...

> I think the Board well understand why the ALAC and others advocate the
distinctions we offer. But the nature of the politics - and likely concerns
re optics - have served to stiffen the Board's resolve to stay the course.

It was my takeaway that the optics of blending the IOC and RCRC would be a
net negative. The GAC internal politics might be sated but the public would
simply see ICANN being gamed (again) by special interests.

On the other hand, maybe this is as it should be... continuing to feed my
expectations that the TLD expansion will be a public debacle and most of
these hard-fought protections simply won't matter.

- Evan