[ALAC] RCRC-IOC-IGO-INGO Consensus Call

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Aug 29 04:41:13 UTC 2013

Thanks Carlton, my comments to yours follow:

Variants for RCRC names - they are already included in the list the
GAC supplied and already in the Guidebook.

A-5/6 5 is for the full name, 6 for acronym. The 189 country names
were never mentioned until Durbin, and then only for the "formal
name" - they later added the normal names (ie Canadian Red Cross
Society vs Canadian Red Cross). The group generally lost patience and
said if they were not paying attention to what was protected in the
AG, then tough. So the token being tossed is the weak protection in
the TMCH. It is pretty much assumed that the Scope 1 names will have
stronger protection.

C-6: The TMCH is now obliged to honour variants if the registry does.
That being said, it is unclear how many IGOs will put forward the
name in Chineses (current provision in the recommendation is only for
2 languages).

D-6: not sure whether the concept of acronyms applies in pictogram languages!

F-1: If adopted, this would place IGO acronyms such as WHO and ISO as
ineligible for TLDs.

F-2: I supported this because it is far preferable to simply blocking
these names at the top level which is the current Board default. A
fee waiver presumes there is NO blocking, something that we have
strongly supported. A means test is not likely going to fly.

F-5: A means test to avoid a charge in the hundreds of dollars?
Regardless, I don't know how you apply a means test to organizations,
such as Unicef or the Red Cross which have huge budgets. If a few who
don't deserve it squeak through, so be it.

Alan