[ALAC] Red Cross/IOC - Questions for Consensus Call - Reply due by September 26th

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Sep 25 01:48:03 UTC 2012

Here are some figures that may be of interest for our discussion
tomorrow. Avri had replied to my question about the basis fir her
belief that the IGO PDP would be done before new gTLD delegation. She
did not copy the ALAC, but has said it was an accidental omission and
I am including her reply below.

Current estimates that I have heard indicate that the first TLD
agreements may be signed in the latter half of next year and be read
for Sunrise soon thereafter (allowing trademark owners to protect
their names) and general registration soon after. Avri's estimate is
just a bit longer. Note however, that Sunrise and registration can
start before the names enter the root.

It is estimated that the absolute shortest time a PDP could take is
191 days (about 6 /12 months) from the time the Final Issue Report is
released until the time the recommendations got to the Board). That
presumes that all deliberations take place during the same 5 weeks
that SG have to submit statements on their opinions (allowing no time
to take those statements into account), the reports is written in a
week, and there are no receiving action from the GNSO or Board. This
is for a simple PDP with virtually no discussion needed to resolve
the issue. The time from the request of an Issue Report (again with
minimal delays) is 263 days or 9 months.

The time for a more typical PDP is estimated at 1 year longer. These
figures can be found as attachments to
http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg13099.html.

To see what real PDPs have taken, see the other attachment. Note that
all of these were done under the old PDP rules which allowed for a
significantly shorter process.

The shortest ones in recent history took 415 days. One added a
clarification sentence to a reason for allowing a Registrar to deny a
transfer
(http://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/minutes-gnso-16oct08.shtml). The
other, the PDP on Domain Tasting was resolved primarily by private
discussions and two registries voluntarily implementing the
"solution" which was then echoed by the PDP. There was very little
discussion other than to identify an effective way of addressing the
problem without unreasonably penalizing Registrars who were not
participating in Tasting.

The other two, far more substantive, took 2.4 to 3 years (as noted,
according to the old, and more streamlined PDP rules).

By any measure (if only based on the amount of discussion this issue
has raised in the ALAC), the IGO protection issue is not an easy one
where all parties will agree quickly. The only possible exception to
this is if all parties come to the table believing that no additional
protections are needed, and can QUICKLY address all of the process
that is being included in the Issue Report.

If indeed the PDP completes in record time, then the provisions of
the compromise proposal of the RC/IOC DT would never kick in, since
they would be replaced by whatever comes out of the PDP.

Alan