[ALAC] Analysis of WHOIS AoC RT Recommendations.

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Sep 3 18:39:23 UTC 2012

Carlton, a few thoughts below.

At 03/09/2012 01:20 PM, Carlton Samuels wrote:
>Dear Alan:
>I have re-read your analysis and my position remains immutable.
>
>For the record, I took a primer on the  GNSO policy development
>process in preparation for co-chairing the Applicant Support WG.  I
>have also paid keen attention to your tutorial given long before now
>on the workings of the GNSO and reprised by request in this thread.
>
>My understanding of that process is largely harmonized with yours
>with a small exception. In my view, policy development in GNSO
>should, of right, provide space for inclusion of the rest of the
>community, hence the requirement for a formal PDP.

It is only in exceeding rare situation where the rest of the
community is excluded from GNSO activities. It is sad but true that
generally they do not avail themselves of this right. The only case
in recent history where we were limited in participation was the STI,
and ALL GNSO G and Cons were similarly limited, all in the interest
of balanced representation and a sufficiently small group as to meet
the tight time deadline. It was sufficiently successful that
*perhaps* it should be used as a model for other efforts, but to date
it has not.

>Regardless of that difference, I support the outcomes of your
>analysis. And I urge my colleagues to ratify these and request the
>ALAC Chair proceed to communicate our concerns in both detail and
>with the appropriate level of alarm.
>
>To me the principle is not conroversial. This idea that the ICANN
>Board may only adopt a policy perspective handed to them by the GNSO
>must be rejected. For to give this credence is to accept that the
>GNSO tail wags the ICANN Board's dog.  And that corporate governance
>model would be altogether exceptional, counterintuitive and
>dangerous.  Even for a California corporation albeit dedicated to a
>multistakeholder model of policy development in the global public interest!

I'd be careful about this. The GNSO has the Bylaw mandated role to
"be responsible for developing and recommending to the ICANN Board
substantive policies relating to generic top-level domains". To say
that the Board has the right to create policy on its own, and without
the involvement of ICANN stakeholders, is giving the Board just a bit
too much power in my mind, and is counter to the MS-model. The Board
DOES explicitly have the power to adopt policy on an interim basis in
exceptional circumstances, but must then rely of on the GNSO to craft
a more permanent solution.

>This idea of an all-knowing priesthood (the GNSO) claiming this
>special unitary and exclusive relationship which informs its
>exceptional supplications on behalf of us mere mortals is offensive to reason.

The current GNSO Council model is explicitly not an all-knowing
priesthood. It is mandated with managing or overseeing the policy
development process which by necessity involves the entire GNSO
(equivalent to the overall At-large).

Alan