[ALAC] Analysis of WHOIS AoC RT Recommendations.

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Sep 3 01:24:19 UTC 2012

You will recall that at its last meeting, the ALAC unanimously
approved a statement to the Board reiterating its position that all
16 recommendations be implemented, and stressed that several were
very important and clearly did not require any prior GNSO policy
development. That ALAC statement can be found at
http://tinyurl.com/ALAC-WHOIS-Advice.

Based on further discussions, and in light of a controversy that has
arisen in the GNSO, it was suggested that the ALAC explicitly
identify which recommendations do not require any prior policy
development, and which might required GNSO policy development.

I had already done a brief review looking at which recommendations
might require policy development. I have since revised this and
present it to you here.

In summary, of the 16 recommendations, 12 do not require GNSO policy
development, 3 *might* require policy development, but that would
depend on work carried out over the coming months and years, and 1
does require policy development by the GNSO along with the rest of
the community, but in my opinion, does not require a formal PDP.

The detailed analysis is attached. The report with the
recommendations in detail can be found at
http://www.icann.org/en/about/aoc-review/whois/final-report-11may12-en.pdf.

It is essential that this analysis reach the Board before the Board
Workshop scheduled for September 12-13.

I am not sure if Olivier wants to hold a formal vote on this, or for
the ALAC to just reach consensus, but regardless, the first step if
for anyone who does not agree with this analysis to speak up.