[ALAC] Board request for Community Input and Advice

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Oct 11 20:17:58 UTC 2012

You may recall this Board request for input and advice on how to get
input and advice.

I volunteered to draft a statement. Despite some ALAC comments that
this request was more-of-the-same and did not warrant our
involvement, my personal opinion is that it is among the more
important things that we could influence.

My draft statement can be found at
https://community.icann.org/x/K5AoAg. It is long, but there is also a
link to a PDF with somewhat better formatting. It is also a bit more
hard-hitting and to the point than are some of my comments.

The deadline for submitting a comment is 25 Oct. If there is little
interest in the ALAC for submitting such a comment, I am happy to do
it under my own name as well as anyone else who supports it. But if
there is agreement with the issues raised, it certainly would have
more impact coming from the ALAC.

I am speaking at a public panel on this subject on Monday. At this
point, it is solely on my own behalf, but I welcome input from others
on the ALAC as to what should be said.