[ALAC] Board request for Community Input and Advice

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Oct 11 21:46:56 UTC 2012

On 11 October 2012 16:17, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> The deadline for submitting a comment is 25 Oct. If there is
> little interest in the ALAC for submitting such a comment, I am happy to
> do it under my own name as well as anyone else who supports it. But
> if there is agreement with the issues raised, it certainly would have more
> impact coming from the ALAC.
>
> I am speaking at a public panel on this subject on Monday. At this point,
> it is solely on my own behalf, but I welcome input from others on the ALAC
> as to what should be said.

I don't think that the response you received was insubstantial.

It is reasonable -- especially for ALAC -- to respond to a request by
advising that its question is wrong or inappropriate.

The problem is not with the methods by which the community sends comments
to the Board, but rather how (and how transparently) the Board accepts and
deals with that input.

- Evan