[ALAC] The sales case for defensive registrations

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Nov 22 21:08:12 UTC 2012

I just received an unsolicited email that some of you may find interesting.

Due to non-ICANN related work, I own a domain related to ebooks. Some
domainer -- or its agent -- sent me a solicitation to acquire a similar
domain. Obviously my WHOIS info was culled for this, but that doesn't
particularly bother me.

What is interesting to read is the sale pitch that pushes defensive
registrations and says that even if you own a trademark it doesn't really
matter.

Quotes of note:

*Q:But I already own a similar domain, why do I need another one?*
*
*
*A: The answer is pretty simple, you will get more exposure for your
business for the least amount of money. Search engines file your page
contents within one domain name. If you have multiple domains, this
multiplies the chance of having a surfer click on the link to your website.*

*Q:But my domain name and business are trademarked..*
*
*
*A: This does not really prevent other people from using unregistered
versions of your trademark for other legal or illegal reasons. A good
example is Nissan.com, a trademark just for your branch in the industry and
quite often just for your region of the world. Defensive registering will
help protect your brand and business.*

I have zero interest in the domain, if anyone else wants
*stud-ebooks.com*you're welcome to it

http://ourbestnames.net/acquire/hgag/WkaM3hn6T7

--
Evan Leibovitch