[ALAC] [ALAC-Announce] VOTE ANNOUNCEMENT: At-Large Vision Statement as Proposed by the At-Large Improvements Taskforce

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed May 23 18:00:50 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues:
I have *abstained* in this vote and for cause.  Vision statements have
never attracted my favour; they tend to the gimmicky and for me, results
matter more for guidance than intent.  Here, the issues converge to
instantiate my position.

Without a doubt, the bye-laws we all must subscribe to as the At-Large
constituency in general and ALAC members in particular, gives the rhyme and
reason for our existence, set and subset.

I am unanimous the urgent need is more intimacy with those rules.

Secondly, the defined agenda for ICANN is so within the context of the MSM
approach. And so far as I know, the At-Large constituency is and remains a
member in good standing. Then again, if this constituency accepts the
Affirmation of Commitments (AoC) framework as guide for ICANN's immediate,
if not future endeavours, it is rather....well, *counterintuitive* for any
part of ICANN to have a separate vision from that espoused by ICANN; *One
world, One Internet*.

At least, that is what makes sense to me.  And in instant case,  I am
resolved that the Committee is wrong-headed.

With respect, I am wary of conniving at error.

- Carlton Samuels

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799