[ALAC] When will ALAC make its conflict of interest statement?

Titi Akinsanmi titi.akinsanmi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:59:08 UTC 2012

Good day to you all,

I have taken the version of the CoI statement done by Carlton (Thank you
Carlton) and adjusted it as pasted beneath.

***What would be useful to support this statement would be a list of CoI
issues/instances identified over the last year at the very least to
buttress our statement - this would be where I would include references to
the CEOs speech)

*****

The At-Large Advisory Committee is concerned at the minimal response by the
Board to the growing instances of glaring conflicts of Interest issues
within ICANN and its various ocnstitutencies. This has been raised both
internally by ICANn members as well as by externals outside of the ICANN
community.

The impact/toll this is taking on ICANN’s credibility as a steward of the
multistakeholder nature of the Internet governance ecosystem and its
sustainability in the in the global environment is very troubling in light
of the continuing threats.

We as the ALAC asserts that ICANN needs to promptly address this growing
perception by adopting and applying the language of the Affirmation of
Commitments with respect to Conflict of Interest.  We refer to the
explanatory text for the rejection of all proposals to manage the IANA
contract by the United States Department of Commerce which stated ‘a need
for {the} structural separation of policy-making from implementation, a
robust companywide conflict of interest policy, provisions reflecting
heightened respect for local country laws and a series of consultation and
reporting requirements to increase transparency and accountability to the
international community.”  The intent and message is clear and unmistakable
and we as the ICANN community woldbe wise to heed  such direct criticism of
our systems.

Till date it has become even more obvious with a series of credible
instances and situations that ICANN is very much riddled with conflicts of
Interest when compared with or measured by contemporary best practice in
corporate governance frameworks and standards.

{Indeed, with the identification of oneclass of conflicts by CEO Rod
Beckstrom as a “significant threat” to ICANN, we are at a watershed moment.
Mr Beckstrom's proposal for remedy includes that of ICANN board candidates be
“financially independent of the domain name industry.”  He also posited reform
of the board selection process  ”not just desirable".  He calls for a
"fully independent and non-conflicted NomCom" in place before the next
nomination
cycle begins.}

*[not sure about including this line or reference to Rod’s speech {lending
it more significance than necessary} but rather specific instances could be
used here]*

* *

The evidence and arguments are compelling enough for the ALAC to agree with
these but not at the expense of eliminating the domain name industry from
participation in a viable multistakeholder model of governance. Rather its
influence must be unbiased, balanced and far from totalitarian in nature.
We do not for instance, perceive it to be advantageous that a domain name
industry representative should hold the  chairmanship of the Nominating
Committee at this point – juxtaposed with the many other powerful
influencer roles held by industry representatives across ICANN
constituencies.  The counteracting argument that a non-voting Chair is
without power is simplistic and undermines what is known of organizational
behavoiour and the power of influencers – voting powers or not. It is noted
that as clarified to us by NomCom senior leadership, no conflict of
interest framework exists within the committee to govern external financial
conflicts of interest at present  - as only fiduciary relationships with
and within ICANN itself is addressed.

We believe ICANN’s already tenous public credibility is being strained to a
breaking point in this regard – and we can hardly afford another major and
public embarrassment. We, as the ALAC, representing end-users in this
complex ecosystem, urge the ICANN board to acknowledge and address the
current gaps in conflict-of-interest guidelines within the community by
taking immediate actionable steps to engage an impartial third party to
review, propose and support the implementation of a conflict of interest
strategy across all its constituencies.

*****

TT