[ALAC] When will ALAC make its conflict of interest statement?

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 00:20:03 UTC 2012

Here under is my version of Beau's draft letter to the Board for your
advice and consent. As promised, this is intended to be sent to the Board.
--------------------------------------

The At-Large Advisory Committee is concerned by the Board's response to the
recent spate of conflict of interest matters raised from both inside and
outside the ICANN community. We are troubled by the possible impacts on
ICANN's credibility as a steward of the multistakeholder model of Internet
governance and the sustainability of that model in the global environment,
especially in light of clear and present threats.

In our view, ICANN must seize this moment to right itself by adopting and
applying the language of the Affirmation of Commitments with respect to
conflicts of interest.  Indeed, in its explanatory text for rejecting all
of the proposals - including one from ICANN - for managing IANA affairs,
the United States Department of Commerce avers a “need for structural
separation of policy-making from implementation, a robust companywide
conflict of interest policy, provisions reflecting heightened respect for
local country laws and a series of consultation and reporting requirements
to increase transparency and accountability to the international
community.”  Their message is unmistakable and it would be wise to heed the
warning.

The credible evidence so far suggests that top to bottom, ICANN is riddled
with conflicts of interest as measured by contemporary best practice
corporate governance frameworks.  Indeed, with the identification of one
class of conflicts by CEO Rod Beckstrom as a “significant threat” to ICANN,
we are at a watershed moment.

Mr Beckstrom's proposal for remedy includes that of ICANN board candidates
be “financially independent of the domain name industry.”  He also posited
reform of the board selection process  ”not just desirable".  He calls for
a "fully independent and non-conflicted NomCom" in place before the next
nomination cycle begins.

The evidence and arguments are compelling enough for the ALAC to agree with
them. While we would not wish to eliminate the domain name industry from
participation in what must be a viable multistakeholder model of
governance, that influence must be balanced and not overwhelming. For
example, we do not believe it is a good thing for declared domain name
industry representatives to hold the  chairmanship of the Nominating
Committee.  The counteracting argument that a non-voting Chair is without
power is not only simplistic but mocks what we know of organizational
behaviour.  And as we now understand from the NomCom's senior leadership,
 no conflict of interest framework exists within the committee governing
external financial conflicts of interest – only fiduciary relationships
with ICANN itself are addressed.****

We believe ICANN’s public credibility is being strained to breaking point
in this regard. And another major embarrassment is hardly affordable.

We urge the ICANN board to acknowledge the current gaps in
conflict-of-interest guidelines within the community and to immediate steps
to engage an impartial third party to review and propose a conflict of
interest framework to remedy and relieve the community of the serious
inherent implications.

---------- end -of- statement --------------

 - Carlton

Carlton A Samuels