[ALAC] ALAC in an evolving ICANN.

JJS jjs.global at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 14:05:54 UTC 2012

*Dear Olivier & Colleagues,*
*
*at the end of today's ExeCom meeting, under AOB, Olivier kindly gave me
the opportunity to present some views on ALAC in an evolving ICANN. *
*
*
*Background & rationale *
*
*
*At the age of 10, ALAC naturally shares many characteristics with its
parent, ICANN. One striking characteristic is the pioneer spirit in
approaching major challenges and more routine work alike.*
*
*
*Times are changing. Youth want to be included. Though faulty, the new gTLD
programme is about to provide a sizeable increase in ICANN revenue, the
allocation of which has not yet been prioritized according to clear
principles. In some areas, project overlay and the constraints of PDP are
making us susceptible to burnout. And the concerns of the wider community
are still not in focus in our house, in which terms like globalization and
the public interest ring empty in the large corridors.*
*
*
*Change in ICANN is coming. The international dimension of ICANN will
impose its logic, even without the full consent of this corporation.
Echelons of decision will be simplified, because failing to accomplish this
would push our structures into irrelevance. The new CEO seems committed to
accomplishing tasks begun, before being drawn into new areas.*
*
*
*The ALAC should seize this moment to examine its efficiency, and therefore
its structures. My proposal is based on a few simple ideas whose
implementation has proven efficient elsewhere.*
*
*
*Clear, committed lines of responsibility. *
*
*
*ALAC's tasks can be handled under three main lines. Each line would be led
by a Vice Chair, and each member would be required to join at least one of
the three lines:*
*1) Community, Outreach, Communication*
*2) Policy, Process, Legal*
*3) Finance, administration*
*
*
*Naturally, this would remain under the overall guidance of the Chair,
whose responsibilities would not change, but he/she would no longer be
expected to accept being constantly submerged. Support Staff, a crucial
element for ALAC, would not require more people, at least in the first
stage.*
*
*
*Why 3 Vice Chairs? Why not 5, which would make regional representation
comfortable? I believe that the challenges facing ALAC are well beyond the
pale of regions, and require both a holistic approach and equal engagement
from all. My proposal is to concentrate on the efficiency of our
structures, rather than on representation, as the latter is ensured at
other levels.*
*
*
*This is, in a few lines, what motivated my brief presentation this morning
at the end of the ExeCom meeting. I'm looking forward to your comments.*
*
*
*Best regards,*
*Jean-Jacques.*