[ALAC] ICANN News Alert -- New gTLD Batching Announcement

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Jun 8 14:34:13 UTC 2012

DA is also based on something random -- that is, whatever reference moment
the selected timestamp is supposed to be closest to.
The main difference between my checksum method and DA is that the
applicant's "entry" -- in the form of the checksums of their applications
-- already exists and can't possibly be gamed after the fact.

I agree with Avri, that if the checksum method is susceptible to challenge
as an illegal lottery of chance then so is DA.

OTOH, there are a number of non-random methods to create the reference
point for my alternate scheme. One of them could be to collect the first
page of every application, make a checksum of THAT resulting (1900 page)
document, and use that checksum as the reference against which to measure
the others.

- Evan