[ALAC] ICANN News Alert -- New gTLD Batching Announcement

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Jun 8 05:40:27 UTC 2012

At 08/06/2012 12:51 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
>On 7 Jun 2012, at 12:08, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> > I believe that sine a "random number" is involved in the, it would be
> > considered a lottery under California law and is thus not allowed.
>
>Or at least that is the ICANN Legal staff's contention.

Yup. But I suspect that an outright random selection is pretty much
likely to be considered a game of chance. Digital Archery, however is
more interesting. If is is not game-able (as ICANN contends), then I
don't see how it differs from a random lottery. If it is game-able,
then we have an unfair situation. Either way it does not seem to be
an appropriate solution.