[ALAC] Final ALAC Statement on Preliminary Issue Report on ‘Thick’ Whois

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Wed Dec 28 07:12:50 UTC 2011

On 24/12/2011, at 4:17 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a grey area.   Some institutions, e.g shelters for abused women's and children's, may need the same privacy protection as individuals.  The same could be said for advocacy groups in countries that don't accept a notion of advocacy.
>>
>> avri

This is indeed a grey area. Who is going to decide which organizations
or groups should benefit from privacy and which should not ?
Personally, I would stick to protecting individuals' privacy.

Anyway, as others have pointed out, the issue is with display, not
collection.  Whether the WHOIS is thick or thin is mostly irrelevant
when it comes to protecting the privacy of individuals.

Patrick Vande Walle