[ALAC] Draft ALAC comment on IRTP-B

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 9 21:55:53 UTC 2011

For those who are not reading the wiki minute by minute, I may add
some other comments of substance later if I have the time, but have
asked one question echoed below.

Alan
=================
Recommendation #8: The WG recommends standardizing and clarifying
WHOIS status messages regarding Registrar Lock status. The goal of
these changes is to clarify why the Lock has been applied and how it
can be changed. Based on discussions with technical experts, the WG
does not expect that such a standardization and clarification of
WHOIS status messages would require significant investment or changes
at the registry/registrar level. The WG recommends that ICANN staff
is asked to develop an implementation plan for community
consideration which ensures that a technically feasible approach is
developed to implement this recommendation.

Comment: Recommendation #8 offers no benefits to registrants other
than bulk registrants (domainers) and the segment of the registrar
market engaged primarily in bulk transfer (domainer servicing
registrars), and is therefore not in the public interest and not
supported by the ALAC.

How does standardizing and clarifying WHOIS status messages relate to
bulk transfers?