[ALAC] Rule 27 - At-Large Director selection

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Aug 25 16:04:12 UTC 2010

At 25/08/2010 04:18 AM, Tijani BEN JEMAA wrote:
>Alan,
>
>Once again, thank you for your time and your energy.
>
>Indeed, I’m really uncomfortable with selecting
>a Board Director by a random draw. The situation
>in e is the most critical. We can avoid having a tie in the following cases:
>·         The number of the electors is odd (not even as it is in our case)

That is not really controllable. First, we can
always have the situation where one or more
voters cannot or will not vote. Second, according
to the intent of the Bylaws (but we don't know
what the final ones will say), some voters may be
prohibited from voting because they have also
submitted their name as a candidate. In fact, it
depending on the wording of the Bylaws, it may be
possible that a person submits their SoI to the
BCEC, is NOT selected, and still cannot vote (I
think that I will send a note to ICANN about that).

>·         With an even number of electors, the
>Chair has a preponderant vote only when there is a tie.

That is certainly one option which gives the
tie-breaking vote to the ALAC chair (or someone
else if the Chair is running!). This could make
the chair "King maker" is the vote is cast to
break a tie. It also has the down side that if A
receives 10 votes and B receives 9 votes and the
Chair had planned to vote for B, A will win. So
sometimes the Chair's preference wins because of
this rule, and sometimes the Chair's preference loses because of the rule.

Alan