[ALAC] ALAC Rule of Procedure for Selecting Director

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Sun Aug 22 15:23:45 UTC 2010

On 22 Aug 2010, at 14:36, Tijani BEN JEMAA wrote:

> Alan,
>
> My personal opinion is that At-Large would be better served by a Liaison,
> but that Internet user community is better served by a good voting Board
> member.
>
> Hummm, you believe At-Large and Internet user community don’t have the same
> interest…

I don't want to reply for Alan. My perspective is that the current crowd of seasoned ICANN insiders have learned the rules of the game, both the written rules and the unwritten ones. They have learnt how to strategize their behaviour, positions, etc. In short, they have become professional policy makers (even though they might be volunteers) who accept the current framework.

On the other hand, I think the Internet user community could be better served by someone questioning the need for these rules and what seems to be a gospel that cannot be challenged. As an example, just asking if there could be a way for the naming system to support multiple roots, multiple registries for  the same TLD, etc, is enough to get you stoned by the community. I would like to see an At-Large director asking disturbing questions, rather than someone who contributes to maintain the status quo, and only try to limit the damage to individuals.  Deconstructivism, il you like.

Patrick