[ALAC-Announce] Invitation to join the IDN variant TLD session in San Francisco

ICANN At-Large Staff staff at atlarge.icann.org
Wed Mar 2 23:26:01 UTC 2011

Dear All,

Please find below an invitation from ICANN Policy Support to a meeting on
IDN variant TLDs scheduled to take place during the Silicon Valley Meeting
in San Francisco.

**

Dear members of the ICANN community,

The delegation and management of Variant TLDs remains an important issue.
The ICANN community seeks to develop solutions to enable the delegation of
Variant TLDs for the benefit of users in different regions. ICANN has
published for public comment a Draft Proposal for an IDN Variant Issues
Project - a proposal for moving this work forward (see:
http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-5-21feb11-en.htm).

At the upcoming San Francisco meeting, ICANN is planning to conduct a
workshop to discuss the draft proposal. In this session, representatives
from different language communities will also be invited to provide an
overview of the potential issues with IDN variant TLDs.

If you are interested in this topic, we welcome your participation. Below
please find the workshop details.

IDN Variant TLDs

Date:  Wed 16 Mar 2011 - 15:00 - 16:30
Room: Elizabethan A-C

Overview
In this session, we describe a proposed approach to identifying issues of
delegating IDN variant TLDs through five case studies. The plan proposes the
creation of teams composed of community experts in linguistics, DNS,
registry operations, and policy. The session will seek to recruit interested
persons for this effort.

Specifically, ICANN proposes to conduct five case studies (suggested cases
are Chinese, Arabic, Latin, Indic, and Cyrillic) to investigate the set of
issues that need to be resolved to facilitate a good user experience for IDN
variant TLDs. From these five case studies, an Issues Report will be
created. The corresponding Board resolution can be found here:
http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-10dec10-en.htm#7).

In this session, we also invite representatives from IDN using communities
to provide an overview of the potential issues with IDN variant TLDs.

Who Should Attend? | Anyone interested in IDN variants.

How to Participate Remotely?

Please refer to http://svsf40.icann.org/node/22193 for remote participation
information.

Warm regards,
ICANN Policy Support

**

Regards,

Heidi Ullrich, Matthias Langenegger, Seth Greene, Gisella Gruber-White,
Marilyn Vernon,

ICANN At-Large Staff