[WHOIS-WG] (no subject)

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 19:14:00 UTC 2013

Here's an interesting tidbit of a case.  It hinges on which [national] data
protection law could apply when a company has multiple operating entities
across several EU states. The situation is still in flex - more court
challenges? - but a likely strategic response is 'jurisdiction shopping'
for setting up operations.

As I had pointed out at today's WHOIS webinar, DP laws are all over now,
contrary to the popular perception that these are largely EU things. While
they broadly address the same issues, the legal frameworks contain
variations - sometimes subtle - but with major impacts.  This is the case
even within the several EU states.

The grist for the EWG's mill is that implementation frameworks are
consequently dissimilar.  See the story here. I used Google Translate to
English from the original German:

http://www.schleswig-holstein.de/OVG/DE/Service/Presse/Pressemitteilungen/23042013OVG_Facebook_Klarnamen.html

-Carlton

Carlton A Samuels