[WHOIS-WG] Draft Statement on WHOIS Reports for ALAC Endorsement

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Tue Mar 23 14:06:35 CDT 2010

Carlton,

Jotting some notes while in my commuter train.

Would your consider the text below as a friendly amendment to your draft ? I think it will cover the concerns of others within At-Large.
Some wordsmithing might be needed, to align with the style of your draft, but at least you get the idea.

Patrick

The inaccuracy of the data in the WHOIS databases had to be expected. As long as the issue of the display of data is not solved, the accuracy of the collected will dependent on the willingness of individuals to display the private details to the whole world.

We do take note of and welcome the commitment made by former CEO Paul Twomey during the Public Forum in Sydney.

Extract: "ICANN's contracts, of course, cannot compel a party to break the law in their own jurisdiction, and we have actually, as you've pointed out, made an accommodation in dot tel for conflict of laws, and the -- I think in the draft contract that we're preparing for new gTLDs, the concern you raised has I think been recognized and I think we're probably going to follow that dot tel -- general dot tel approach."

(from http://syd.icann.org/files/meetings/sydney2009/transcript-public-forum-25jun09-en.txt)

The Telnic model of WHOIS, that was agreed by ICANN, represents a reasonable solution that respects both the right to privacy of individuals and the legitimate concerns of those clearly identified entitities that have a genuine need to access the full data.  ICANN having stated it wants a standard contract with all new gTLDs, the At-Large suggests to implement the Telnic model of WHOIS as a standard in all contracts, regardless of where the registry is located. ICANN could as well set up a accreditation program for those entities that need a full access to the WHOIS, which would be valid for across all gTLDs.

The At-Large further urges ICANN to launch an effort to introduce the IRIS system, which would greatly help in solving the problems above, as well as the multilingual aspects of the WHOIS.

--
Patrick Vande Walle
Blog: http://patrick.vande-walle.eu