[NA-Discuss] A comment on the Andruff Bundling Letter

Richard Tindal richardtindal at me.com
Mon May 23 19:43:05 UTC 2011

Something else to keep in mind with this proposal is the advantage it gives to better funded applicants.   It's an unintended consequence, but unfortunately it's there.

Let's say I'm a well funded applicant and I intend to apply for .SHOE, plus five other script versions of the word "SHOE"  (one of which is the Thai script  for "SHOE").   I submit six applications
paying $185K for one of them and a reduced rate (the bundling discount) for the other five.

Lets say an applicant in Thailand applies for just one TLD -- the Thai script word for "SHOE".

I will end up in a contention set for that Thai script TLD however my cost basis is well below that of my local competitor -- who paid $185K.   I am now in an even better position to outbid that competitor at auction as I have used less funds at the application stage   (note:  I'm assuming my competitor doesn't qualify for whatever support mechanism is approved).

In this scenario I think the local guy, who applied for just one TLD, will see the bundling rule as unfair.