[NA-Discuss] Protecting the public interest: dot-zip

David Mackey mackey361 at gmail.com
Mon May 29 12:49:03 UTC 2023

Evan,

Thank you for bringing up the topic of TLD and File Extension namespace
collisions. I had not considered this topic before, but I believe it merits
attention.

The ZIP domain is only one example of the more general problem where TLD
and File Extension namespaces. Other examples coming from ccTLD namespace
are .PL (Poland vs Perl Script) and .SH (Saint Helena and Shell Script). An
interesting detailed discussion on this complexity can be found here
<https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35930160>. The fact there are already
namespace collisions, does not diminish the need for us to pay attention to
it when expanding TLD namespace.

>From a strictly end user's perspective, I think it's safe to conclude that
TLD and File Extension namespace collisions do have the potential to add
cognitive load to an end user's ability to safely navigate domain name
space.

ICANN's policy development takes into account a number of different
stakeholders. It appears that some ICANN stakeholders feel they can make
money from an expanded TLD namespace and potentially add value to end users
too. As with many things in life, there are tradeoffs to be made.

I don't have a strong opinion about ICANN policy at the moment, but it does
seem wise for those stakeholders that wish to make money from a new TLD
namespace asset (e.g. ZIP), to be aware of end user harms that can result
from their new asset.

An end user market that does not trust a new domain name because of abuse
due to File Extension confusion will diminish the value of the new TLD
asset for any business which chooses to purchase this asset.  Yes,
marketing can cover up DNS abuse problems, but it may be wise for business
stakeholders to avoid the use of high risk new domain names to achieve
their business goals. This type of feedback is not directly connected to
ICANN policy of course, but market forces can be useful. The ICANN End User
community can help raise awareness, which you have started with your email,
even if we don't have effective policy mechanisms in place to avoid
potential future problems.

By the way, is NA-Discuss the right mailing list for this discussion? Would
this thread be better in the CPWG mailing list?

Cheers,
David