[NA-Discuss] Suggestion for future meeting

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Mon Jan 24 03:11:07 UTC 2022

Evan and all,

Discussion of this report could perhaps be paired and compared (though not
exactly contrasted) with the book "*The Great Takeover: Mapping of
Multistakeholderism in Global Governance*" by Mary Ann Manahan and
Madhuresh Kumar (in collaboration with the People’s Working Group on
Multistakeholderism). Richard Hill introduced this book thusly on another
mailing list:

A recent book documents how multi-stakeholder models have been used in many
areas in order to favor greater corporate influence, see:

  https://www.tni.org/en/publication/the-great-takeover

I cite from that web page:

"From health, to food and agriculture, from education to internet, from
environment to public services and human rights, the research shows that
decisions made in these Multistakeholderism mechanisms as well as in
captured multilateral institutions, have direct impact on on people's
health, children's education, digital rights, access to basic public
services and human rights in the territories, including the right to a
healthy environment.

"By dislocating the locus of key policy decisions from the multilateral
system into mixed mechanisms where the private sector rules-with the support
of some states, international institutions, and big philanthropists-the
phenomenon of "multistakeholderization" of the global governance has become
systemic."

The book includes a chapter on Internet governance (full disclosure: I
contributed to that chapter).
*Greg Shatan | President, ISOC-NY*
greg at isoc-ny.org

*"The Internet is for everyone"*