[NA-Discuss] Fwd: [SOAC-Leaders-ICANNMeeting-Planning] Message SOAC leaders about ICANN71 meetings with the Board

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Wed May 12 19:27:00 UTC 2021

FYI.

-ed

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: David Olive via SOAC-Leaders-ICANNMeeting-Planning <
soac-leaders-icannmeeting-planning at icann.org>
Date: Wed, May 12, 2021 at 1:42 PM
Subject: [SOAC-Leaders-ICANNMeeting-Planning] Message SOAC leaders about
ICANN71 meetings with the Board
To: SOAC-Leaders-ICANNMeeting-Planning <
soac-leaders-icannmeeting-planning at icann.org>
Cc: Goran Marby <goran.marby at icann.org>

Dear SOAC leaders:

Thank you all for your continued hard work as we prepare for the ICANN71
Virtual Policy Forum. It is sometimes strange to recall that this will be
the fifth consecutive ICANN Public Meeting where we will be meeting
virtually rather than in person. Over the past 14 months, we have worked
together to find ways to improve our interactions, including how the Board
and the community engage with each other. This has inevitably meant that,
in trying to be sensitive to the Board’s and community’s preferences while
taking into account factors such as potential Zoom fatigue, time zones and
volunteer burnout, we have not been consistent from meeting to meeting,
resulting in some understandable confusion on the part of community members
and in some cases the org staff as well. I therefore write to clarify the
practice that we think is most appropriate for the upcoming Virtual Policy
Forum.

As you know, the three ICANN Public Meetings in our annual meeting cycle
are the Community Forum, the Policy Forum and the Annual General Meeting,
each with its specific objectives and duration as developed by the
community-led Meetings Strategy Working Group and adopted by the Board in
2014. Where the Community Forum and AGM are each approximately six days
long and include the traditional Constituency Day, the Policy Forum runs
over four days and is dedicated to the community’s policy development work
and regional outreach activities. This means that the Policy Forum was not
designed to include a day set aside for Constituency Day.

Over the past year, however, thanks to the community’s decision to organize
fewer, more focused sessions for the virtual Public Meetings, we have been
able to accommodate a number of community groups’ requests to meet with the
Board at the last Policy Forum (ICANN68) as well as prior to and just after
the AGM (ICANN70). We hope that this flexibility has meant that the Board
and the community were able to maximize the time together, especially in
view of time zone and other limitations imposed by a wholly virtual meeting
format.

For ICANN71, we have again received a number of community group requests to
meet with the Board. As the Board wishes to continue its dialogues with all
our community groups without affecting either its or their ability to
attend and engage in the community sessions as was originally intended for
a Policy Forum, we would like to maintain the traditional Policy Forum
format for ICANN71. As a result,* with the exception of the regular
Board-GAC bilateral meeting, we will schedule all other Board-community
meetings for after ICANN71*. I have asked Mary Wong to contact all the
affected groups to work with them and the Board Operations Team to ensure
that these meetings can be scheduled as soon as is feasible. For those
groups who had already requested meetings with the Board in the week after
ICANN71, we will schedule these as requested.

Thank you for your understanding and for working with all our staff to
ensure that the ICANN Public Meetings continue to be productive and useful
in advancing your work.

Best regards,

David Olive

David A. Olive
Senior Vice President

Policy Development Support

Washington, D.C.

disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so on.

--
*NOTICE:* This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named